Sunday, July 26, 2009

More Pictures!


We were happy to receive more pictures this week. The first one is of Dallin and several guys from the same dorm building (and some from our Colorado Stake). On a temple trip, Dallin bumped into these guys. Elder Covey (from his student ward), Dallin, Steven Allred (Tuscany Ward), Justin Schoof (Dallin's roommate & fellow Finn) and D.J. (Smoky Hill Ward).

The next one is of the 4 Finns. Elder Empey, Elder Ranzenberger, Elder Schoof & Dallin.

Lots of language studying is the main theme again! Dallin very much enjoys his teachers (former Finnish Elders). He is learning a lot, working hard and loving it! Well, other than the food.

Here are a few excerpts from his last email:

Finnish is going well. It gets harder everyday because the grammar starts to pile up but I'm understanding it all, it's just a lot to remember. Our Finnish lesson actually went really well. We were really nervous and then were even more nervous when our teachers found out that there were a couple of real life Finnish people there! So, we got to teach a couple return missionaries along with the real Finn. We could understand most of what the return missionaries were saying, but we couldn't understand really anything of what the Finn said. But nonetheless, we were happy with how well we did, considering it to be our first time. We have to teach again tomorrow night so we've been working on that a bit. So far so good. I have learned a lot of new Finnish words actually. I learn about 30 or so everyday. What words do you want to know? Joulupukki is Santa Claus. I did hear that a snake bit Hildi. I hope she is doing better because I need to teach her some finnish commands when I get back. Istu!! (sit!!). Oh this is exciting! I can now roll my r's. I'm still practicing but none of us could roll them when we came in, and we've been practicing and now we can. It's pretty sweet.

The food is, well, edible. Some things are pretty good, other times not so much.


I don't know if there's anything I really need, honestly. We can get most of what we need at the MTC bookstore for a discounted rate, just for missionaries, which doesn't really make sense because only missionaries shop there.


Dallin very much enjoys his companion, Elder Ranzenberger. They get along very well and work hard together. He has a great perspective and is encouraging Cath & I to attend the Temple often...good advice!


He has requested a few things to be sent to him while he is still in the MTC. His U of U Sugar Bowl shirt (I am so proud!) and a bag of jelly beans.


He loves letters! DearElder.com is a great way to write to him while he is at the MTC. Please be sure to send him notes!

1 comment:

  1. Haha, the MTC bookstore thing is pretty funny.
    I've written Dallin finally.
    I had no idea his MTC Box #, he forgot to include that in his address he emailed to me.
    Fortunately your daughter is an avid facebook user, and got it from her.
    Thanks for this blog! Jess and I are very happy for these updates.
    Not the same without you guys =/

    Talk to you soon!
    Dave

    ReplyDelete